Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Carbonated Posset Pudding

I was intrigued by a posset dessert that @verysmallanna posted a while back. I had no idea what it was until I did some research. It sounded wonderful so I convinced her to share the recipe with me and started experimenting.

Carbonated Riesling Vinegar Posset

What is a posset? In this case, it's a simple pudding made with just three ingredients: cream, sugar and lemon juice. The thickening is driven by the acidity of the citrus curdling the milk.

Carbonated Posset Foam on Top

Of course, I couldn't just do it straight up. I happened to be experimenting with carbonation at the time and wanted try a dense liquid. The posset was the perfect candidate. The variation didn't stop there. I replaced the citrus juice with a killer Minus 8 vinegar based on a previous success with vinegar sherbet. I settled on Dehydr8, a Riesling raisin vinegar. It was sure to shine through the richness.
 
Creamy Carbonated Posset Underneath

After I prepared the posset, it went into the whipping canister hot. I allowed it to cool to the touch uncovered. Then I double charged it and refrigerated overnight. The next day I discharged and opened the canister to taste that the posset successfully carbonated. The flavor and texture are best described as a delicious grape creamsicle float pudding. The Dehydr8 vinegar gave it character and depth beyond what any citrus juice could do. As an added bonus, there were two distinct layers consisting of a foam layer on top and carbonated pudding underneath. I was amazed by how the straightforward carbonation process created such a wonderful texture combination. After tasting, I couldn't help but think about the potential for applying this technique to all sorts of puddings and custards. So it begins...


The Needs
  • 1 pint whipping canister
  • 2 CO2 charges 
The Ingredients*
  • 200g heavy cream (not ultra pasteurized)
  • 50g sugar
  • 3T high quality vinegar
  • Pinch of salt
The Steps*
  • Add the cream, sugar and salt to a small pot
  • Bring to a boil while constantly whisking
  • Remove from heat
  • Whisk in vinegar
  • Immediately pour into the whipping canister
  • Wait until the canister is cool to the touch
  • Charge the posset and carefully swirl so the liquid doesn't contact the top. It's pretty thick and you want to prevent a blockage.
  • Repeat with a second charge
  • Refrigerate overnight
  • Discharge the canister upright. The posset is too thick to pass through the nozzle. There should only be gas releasing from the top.
 * The ingredient ratios and steps for making the posset base are from @verysmallanna.


As always, please share your experiments to keep the ideas bouncing.

No comments:

Post a Comment